What is the first thing a business notices about your online presence before giving you a chance for an interview? Your profile. A poor profile shows a business that you’re not capable of providing an organized list of resources and that you may be incapable to complete even the easiest of tasks. Here at HireOwl we will give you the best guide to teach you how to craft yourself a concise and professional profile worthy of any job position.
Question: Why should I have a complete profile?
Answer: There are limitless benefits to having a full profile, but the main reason is that the employer will get a quick and easy way to evaluate your work, and profiles that are 100% complete get priority over those that aren’t which immediately puts you ahead of the competition. Here is a quick and easy 2 step guide to having a profile that all employers love to see.
Step 1: Fill Out These Essential Categories
- Make sure you have a high quality photo. The first thing someone sees before they even have a chance to talk to you is how you look. By having a high quality picture you put yourself ahead of those with grainy images.
- List your best skills and don’t leave any out! If you’ve done graphic design and it’s your passion make sure to list it as one of your skills. But if you’ve also mastered the Microsoft Office Suite through your college years as many students have, you can also list that as a skill. The more skills you have the more versatile you can be when applying for jobs.
- List your references, blogs, and social media. Remember a business will make sure that you’re doing the best job at representing them so social media presence and references are extremely important. If it’s your first time listing references do not worry! If you have family friends or coaches that have known you for a long time they can be listed in that category.
Step 2: Create a Video Profile
- Use your webcam and create a video. In an ever evolving business world millennials need to seize the tools that will put them ahead of the curve. Due to our recent partnership with IntegriVideo we can now integrate video with your student profile. Here are some of the statistics and success stories of having a video on your profile.
“In a survey of more than 500 hiring managers at companies with more than 20 employees, OfficeTeam found that 63 percent said their company often uses videoconferencing for job interviews.”
- If you mess up don’t worry. HireOwl allows you to record and re-record your attempts as many times as you’d like before you get the perfect one. In addition you can choose your thumbnail to be the most appealing part of the video. Due to the fact that HireOwl prefers students with 100% completed profiles and recommends them higher to employers it’s very crucial to complete a video profile!
Now that you’ve read this Q&A and two-step guide to success in kickstarting your career what are you waiting for? Log into your HireOwl profile today and get started!